Honorary Membership/Award of Merit
Members of IPAC Canada may be awarded honorary or lifetime membership in recognition of their extraordinary service to the profession of infection prevention and control. Honorary members may vote and hold office in the Association. Awarding of Honorary Membership requires a 75% vote of the Board of Directors. Only one Honorary Membership may be appointed in any year and the Board has the discretion to decline any nominations. See policy 8.62.
If a member does not demonstrate the criteria for Honorary Membership, the Board may acknowledge service through an Award of Merit.
An Award of Merit may be bestowed on any member, organization or group which provides substantial benefit to the Association or the profession of infection prevention and control. Only two Awards of Merit may be bestowed in any year and the Board of Directors has the discretion to decline any nominations. See policy 17.30.
2023 IPAC Canada Honorary Member -Sandra Callery
Sandra Callery, RN, MHSc, CIC, LTC-CIP, has worked in the field of Infection Prevention and Control (IPAC), and in leadership roles, for several decades. Her other work experiences include public health, clinical research and occupational health and safety. She worked in a variety of health care settings, and most recently with the Ontario Agency of Health Protection and Promotion (Public Health Ontario). Sandra is a registered nurse, with a Master of Health Sciences. She has been involved in IPAC related research and publications regarding disease transmission, management of patients with antibiotic-resistant organisms, emergency preparedness, and most recently, the value of certification for the Infection Control Professional. Sandra was a member of the Ontario Provincial Infectious Diseases Advisory Committee (PIDAC) for Infection Prevention and Control and chaired the former PIDAC Surveillance Advisory Committee. She is a past National President of IPAC Canada (formerly CHICA Canada) a past president of the former Hamilton and District Chapter (now IPAC Central South Ontario), and a recipient of the 2014 Moira Walker Memorial Award for International Service. She continues to participate in infection control initiatives through IPAC Canada. She is on the editorial board for the Canadian Journal of Infection Control. Other previous IPAC Canada appointments include the National Pandemic Influenza Planning Committee, the National Advisory Committee on Immunization, and the International Infection Control Council. In May 2003, Sandra was appointed on behalf of the Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs as part of a four-person delegation to Mainland China, Hong Kong and Taiwan, sharing IPAC learnings regarding SARS management. Sandra is the immediate past President of The Certification Board of Infection Control and Epidemiology. She is an Assistant Clinical Professor and lecturer at McMaster University’s Faculty of Health Sciences and a lecturer for IPAC Canada endorsed courses at Centennial College and Queen’s University. Sandra has authored several scientific publications and presented at many national and international scientific conferences.
IPAC Canada Honorary Members
- 1978 Dr. Hugh Starkey,
Dr. Jock Westwood, Shirley Chewick
- 1990 Dr. Ken Buchan
- 1996 Betty Bannerman
- 1997 Diane (Elder) Thornley
- 1998 Moira Walker
- 2000 Pat Williams
- 2001 Carol Goldman
- 2003 Mary E. LeBlanc
- 2006 Clare Barry
- 2009 Elizabeth Henderson
- 2010 Dr. Dick Zoutman
- 2011 Shirley McDonald
- 2013 Patricia Piaskowski
- 2016 Marion Yetman
- 2017 Karen Clinker
- 2018 Anne Bialachowski
- 2023 Sandra Callery
IPAC Canada Award of Merit
- 1999: Bruce Gamage (BCPIC), Margie Foster (SOPIC), Carol Goldman (TPIC), Adrienne Brown (HANDIC), Pat Piaskowski (Thunder Bay Chapter)
- 2001: Mary LeBlanc (SAPIC), Carol Whyman (EOPIC), Infection Control I Group (Anne Augustine, Clare Barry, Joanne Braithwaite, Shela Churilla, Pauline Fallis, Carol Goldman, Karen Green, Claudette Johnson, Dr. Marie Louie, Susan MacMillan, Margaret McArthur, Cathy Mindorff, Peggy Perkins, Terri Rybacki-Anisko, Susan Shurtleff, Dr. Andrew Simor, Dr. John Smith, Elizabeth Van Horne, Dr. Mary Vearncombe, Grace Volkening, Simone Wartman, Barbara Wells, Diane White, Pat Williams, Rick Wray).
- 2004: Shirley McDonald (Webmaster), Moira Walker (IFIC Secretary)
- 2005: Brenda Dyck, Ilana Warner
- 2006: Dr. Elizabeth Henderson, Clare Barry, Elizabeth Bryce, Donna Moralejo, Diane Roscoe, Elizabeth Van Horne, Mary Vearncombe
- 2012: Donna Moralejo, Isabelle Langman, Silvana Perna, Faith Stoll, Marilyn Weinmaster, Nina Williams, Marion Yetman
- 2017: Shirley McDonald
- 2021: Heather Candon, Jane Van Toen