Healthcare Facility Design and Construction Resources
IPAC Canada offers these links for additional resources for infection control professionals. Links presented here do not imply endorsement by IPAC Canada.
Additional resources and tools may be found on IPAC Canada's Facility Design & Construction Interest Group web page (IPAC Canada member password required). Courses and education may be found on IPAC Canada's Education calendar of events.
Resources useful to ICPs involved in construction and maintenance projects:
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
Home of "Guidelines for Design and Construction of Hospitals and Outpatient Facilities", a first-rate resource when planning new construction.
- Canadian Construction Association– Mould Information Site
- Canadian Standards Association - Health Care Facility Engineering Standards
- Construction-related Nosocomial Infections in Patients in Health-Care Facilities (2001)
Guideline from the Public Health Agency of Canada
- Design Guide for the Built Environment of Behavioral Health Facilities
National Association of Psychiatric Health Systems, 2014
- Guideline for Environmental Infection Control in Health-Care Facilities (2003)
Guideline from the CDC
- Infection Prevention and Control Commissioning Toolkit
Infection Prevention Society (U.K.)
- Legionnaire's Disease, Waterborne Bacteria Control Information
- Managing Water Infiltration into Buildings
- Role of Infection Control during Construction in Health Care Facilities (2000)
Report from the Association for Professionals in Infection Control & Epidemiology